Friday, September 7, 2012

McDuffie Loves Macon and Meet and Greet with Ward Stare




I promise- I did not mean to post this the same day as Larry Fennelly’s review in Out and About. In fact I am purposely waiting to read it until after I post this. It’s really my own fault for waiting so long to post. Anyways…

WOW. First- congrats to all of the staff at The Grand Opera House, this was an amazing show and I am so happy I got to see it. I had promised myself I would NOT miss Robert McDuffie’s next performance in Macon. I had to miss the last one for whatever reason or another, I am not sure why I just know I meant to go and didn’t. I am also happy to have been able to see the McDuffie Center String Ensemble. We have such talent here in Macon because of Mercer. Which brings me to my second thank you, to Mercer University,  I am so proud to have attended this fine university, and even more so now . My third thank you, to everyone who attended, I would have expected in typical Macon fashion for there to have been seating a plenty before the show but there wasn’t- in fact it was standing room only and I believe people may have had to leave.

I also now have a new favorite classical song: “ One Note Samba”. Steve Moretti’s percussion performance was truly remarkable. And it was fun to see him and his wife, Amy Schwartz Moretti, perform together. I have seen her perform via YouTube before and already had an appreciation for her work. I also enjoy shows like this that perform familiar numbers such as “ It Ain’t Necessarily So” by Gershwin and “Adagio” by Samuel Barber. It’s kind of like when you get to see a Picasso for the first time in person, and really every time after that (I have seen two Picasso exhibits): it’s just awe inspiring to feel that music that you have seen in the movies in person. And even if you are not familiar with the music, like my introduction to “One Note Samba”, there’s just something about seeing it in person and watching the performers and how they connect to the music that makes it more alive. Pardon me, but even as often as I write I still struggle to accurately describe how live performances, especially of classical music, move me.

I can say this- I am going to make a more concerted effort to go to live performances. Whether it be classical music at Mercer or the Macon Symphony or even live theater, Macon has SO MUCH to offer. For anyone to say we do not have the amount of culture as Atlanta or even Savannah makes me want to pull my hair out. If you ever feel tempted to say it- reach out to someone and ask “what’s going on this week?” Heck- reach out to me, I don’t mind. Even if I don’t know I generally know who to ask!

That being said- who all did I see at this performance? I know you want to know. Right as I walked in I ran into Mayor and Dele Reichert (who just celebrated a birthday- be sure to wish her a Happy Birthday!) as well as Susannah Cox Maddux and Collin Holder- manning the I Love Macon sign up table. I also later saw Catherine and Brother Liles, who I know from church, as well as Sarah Gerwig and her two lovely sons. Frankly, it was so packed in there it was hard to see everyone I knew. I know there were more I know in attendance.

The lesson here? If you missed it, well I feel sorry for you, but be sure to not miss the next performance of live music. Perhaps you will spy the next Robert McDuffie performing.

Now, something else you don't want to miss is the Bravo! event with Ward Stare. You remember Bravo! The Social Club of the Grand Opera House, I have written about it before. This is a private event for members only and really, they ask that you RSVP first. (We all know about RSVP'ing, it's just polite.) It's just $40 for membership to the club and not only do you get to meet Ward Stare but there are all kinds of other benefits. To join or renew your membership, email Betsy at fitzgerald_me@mercer.edu. So, I'll see you there, right? Right!


No comments:

Post a Comment