Friday, September 14, 2012

Bravo Meets Ward Stare and Junior League of Macon

I'll admit, fitting certain functions in to my schedule takes some work. For instance, the past two evenings I was late for two events due to work- but I still went.

Two nights ago was the first meeting of the year for Junior League of Macon AND the start of our 75th year in Macon- truly amazing. If you aren't familiar with Junior League it's really time to do something about that. JLM's mission here is to promote literacy, actually Macon-Bibb County received the Certified Literate Community designation recently. Yay! Anyways part of this effort has been to partner with Barnes and Noble. In fact- you can help too. Starting yesterday and going through this Sunday, if you use the code 10840981 for all of your purchases and a portion of your purchase will benefit a local Macon elementary school. Yay!

Last night I very briefly stopped in to the Bravo event at Marco's to meet Ward Stare, the new conductor of the Macon Symphony. Of course I saw my usual group of friends: Canaan, Tori, Betsy, Jonathan, Ricky, DeeAnn, David, Steven, JJ, Andrea, etc. There was a really good turnout for this event and I am told I just missed James and Jodi Palmer taking pictures for Macon Magazine (darn it). I meant to introduce myself to Amy Schwartz Moretti and tell her how much I loved the McDuffie Loves Macon event- I even downloaded One Note Samba because of that night (go get it now- although it still doesn't stack up to the live performance ;) ).

But these are just the first of many great events for both Bravo and Junior League. There have been some very good looking shows posted by the Grand Opera House, and you can get discounted tickets to some with your Bravo membership. And I am really looking forward to the Junior League's Touch a Truck this year, my kids love it so much!







Now, as for last weekend, since I am behind as per usual, I attended the opening reception of the Macon Art's Alliance "Slow Down, Step Back: Paintings and Porcelain". As usual, it was a crowded event- and well worth attending. If you haven't been I really stress that you should go. Heck, make it your lunch break. What I loved most about Carol Porter's works is that many of them incorporated some kind of inspiring verse. 




Speaking of Carol Porter, she has certainly been one busy lady! I had to miss the Historic Macon Salon featuring her, did you know she has a cooking column in The Telegraph

Another event I sadly had to miss out on this past weekend was my friend Collin's birthday party at Natalia's- I know I have told you on Facebook and in person how sad I was to miss it but let me said it here again, dear! If yall don't know Collin then I frankly do not know under which rock you have been hiding, he works for Cherry Blossom and is also the chair for Taste of the Arts to benefit the Macon Arts Alliance. (And see- we start to come full circle here.)

This past weekend also saw the opening of Becky's New Car, which I am told is quite entertaining.

As for what is coming up in the near future? Well, I touched on this weekend's fundraiser through Barnes and Noble, and Junior League's Touch a Truck (that's not til the spring though), but we also have Ocmulgee Indian Celebration this weekend. And on October 4th is the Historic Macon Idea House Preview Party- go here to buy tickets now (http://www.historicmacon.org/idea-house) as this is an event you do NOT want to miss. I will be covering that in another blog post this weekend ;)

Oh and here's a YouTube link for one of the performances coming up at The Grand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3F9JQ96HCcU

However, I do have a regular job to do- remember DealChicken? Of course you do... as if you could forget. Time to get ready for work! Til next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment